Wednesday, 25 May 2016

Ad Break Exercises - perfect for the reluctant

Struggling to find time to fit in your fitness sessions? No time for the gym? Well that is absolutely no excuse!

I set myself a mini goal for each day - 10,000 steps. On days when I do have the time, I go to the gym and I go for walks, especially now the days are getting a little longer each day, and spring will soon be here and the nights will be getting lighter and warmer.

It's the days when I don't go to the gym, and when I don't get chance to walk that are the issue. How do I get that elusive exercise in with a busy life?

I came up with Ad Break Exercises. Rather than spending ages jogging on the spot, or doing DVD workouts, which are all very well and good, but can get predictable and boring pretty quick, I decided to do short bursts.

Now, depending on the channel you are watching this is easier on some than others. Take ITV as example. Adverts right? Perfect. Every ad break, get your bum off the sofa and do something.

Abs, tricep dips, lunges, squats - whatever you like. Keep it going just for the length of the adverts. Not too much hard work is it? Nope. You can do every break, or just a couple - its really up to you.

However, just increasing your activity in the evenings like this will make such a difference over the course of the week. It could add up to an hour per week if you do 3-4 ad breaks each night. Ad breaks being 2-3 mins long per.

If you really go for it, it could be the difference between gaining and maintaining your weight. Better still, if you do this on your non exercise days plus keep to your healthy eating, you should rev up your metabolism and see some losses on those scales.

If you, like me, have to really push yourself to make you get up and work out, then this could be the one for you. Its short bursts, so you don't need special kit, or equipment. Your own body is all you need. So what are waiting for? :)