- the property of being luminous at temperatures below incandescence,as from slow oxidation in the case of phosphorus or after exposure tolight or other radiation.
- a luminous appearance resulting from this.
- any luminous radiation emitted from a substance after the removal ofthe exciting agent.
- a fluorescence that persists after the bombarding radiationproducing it has stopped
- a fluorescence for which the average lifetime of the excited atoms isgreater than 10 –8 seconds
- the light emitted in phosphorescence
- the emission of light during a chemical reaction, such asbioluminescence, in which insufficient heat is evolved to cause fluorescence
Definition derived from dictionary.com