Thursday, 10 November 2016

Retro single of the Week - Elbow 'One Day Like This' - Look Back

This week's retro single of the week is the epic 'One Day Like This' from Elbow.

This song is one of my all time favourites. From the second it kicks in, its just beautiful and makes me feel such emotion. This is my all time pick me up song, as no matter what is happening in my life, it takes me some place where all is good.

'One Day Like This' was released as a single back in 2008. It was from Elbow's fourth album 'Seldom Seen Kid', and was the second single released from it.

This song reached number 4 in the UK singles chart, but it was hugely acclaimed. It won an Ivor Novello, got included in NME's best tracks list, and the band also won a BRIT award. Not bad, and its also been used in loads of media not least the Olympics and Children In Need.

Elbow are a Manchester band, who come from Bury. They've released 6 studio albums, had seven top 40 singles and are still going strong. Their last album, released in 2014, reached the top spot in the UK albums chart, their first one to reach pole position!

This song though, is in my humble opinion, their best ever. Its just anthemic and beautiful. It never dates, and will always remain on my best loved list. If you have never heard it go and take a listen. If you get chance, check out the video. Its simple, but mesmerising. Just a sales advertising guy on the street with a sign for condo's but its just perfect for this song. Unassuming, simple, yet somehow magical.

Absolutely perfect this song. Never fails to move me. If you want more music - singles of the week, retro music, bands and live music just check out My Music page here. Happy listening:)