Saturday, 3 June 2017

My Week with Adele Day 2 - Someone Like You

Today for my second choice in my Week with Adele I have chosen the wonderful 'Someone Like You'.

'Someone Like You'  was taken from Adele's second album 21, in 2011. Unsurprisingly, it reached the number 1 spot in the UK singles charts.

This song, co written with Dan Wilson, could have been a depressing number, written as it is about Adele's heartbreak following her relationship breakdown. However, despite it having such a stripped back and sombre tone, it somehow lifts up out of it and being so beautifully sung and composed, it takes your breath away rather than pull you down into her despair.

We all know the pain, or at least most of us do, that relationships can bring. Adele sank herself into this and gives it all she has. Its a sort of emotional venting for a lost love. Its very sad, but my god what a song. It gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it, and it still pulls me in.

Adele's vocals, always wonderful, are never better showcased than when its just her and the piano. The lyrics could make you weep they are so personal "Nevermind, I'll find someone like you/I wish nothing but the best for you, too/Don't forget me, I beg/I'll remember you said/Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead", but you can't help but ruin it by warbling along with it. Well, me anyway!

The video to this, is a suitably morose affair - black and white, Adele looking miserable and heartbroken - yep, not one to watch or indeed listen to if you feel emotional - or maybe it is - sort of a sympathetic venting - let it out as they say.

A beautiful song from a beautiful woman, who should truly not look back at someone foolish enough to let her go. What a fool that man must be. Whose laughing now Adele? You. Go girl!

Amazing song. So there we have my choice for Day 2. Which should I choose next? Decisions decisions. Go take a listen - song perfection.

For more music, singles of the week and loads more, you can check out My Music page here. Happy listening :)