So what am I doing about it? This week, quite a bit actually - here is my round up of my first week's efforts:
- Firstly - the weigh in. I faced the scales after several weeks of take aways, meals out, home cooked meals, snacks, crisps, chocolate, Christmas Dinner - you name it. So I faced up to the damage and stepped up to face reality. It was a shock, but it motivated me to start to put things right.
- Secondly - the measurements. In addition to the horror of weighing in, I also decided to measure up. I measured everywhere - waist, bust, hips, thighs, calves, arms, middle, neck - everywhere. Why? Well so that I can not only see if I have lost weight, but so that I can see where it has disappeared from. Also helps if the scales do not budge, but the inches often shed anyway.
- Exercise began. I started light - I have set myself the task of a minimum of 30 minutes activity each day in one go. Whether its cleaning, walking, DIY - so long as its 30 minutes minimum in one session, that counts. Then I have set myself a daily goal of 50 crunches, 10 push ups (on knees at this point), 10 tricep dips, 10 squats. Already, I have increased this, and have completed the minimum every day without fail.
- Sans alcohol. To avoid the calories and the health impact, I have gone dry on weekdays. I don't drink a lot, but over Christmas it had got to be a bit of a habit - so that's had to change.
- More water - to counter less alcohol, I have increased the water to rehydrate my body, my skin and flush my system. I feel better for it already.
Not bad for the first week :)